Thursday, June 24, 2010

I See You


This evening, I found myself going through boxes of old letters, photos, school papers and a variety of other things I've saved
over the years. As I pulled out different items, some brought smiles, others brought tears, and some just left me shaking my head sheepishly. Along with old journal entries and stories
written in elementary school, I found this poem that I wrote about 6 years ago, not too long after my best friend/foster brother, Junior, died. It was my freshman year of college, and I can remember sitting on the terraced steps behind the Reitz Union at the University of Florida, attempting to sort out my jumbled emotions. I deeply missed Junior and I was feeling overwhelmed by life, but at the same time, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that God was with me---that He always had been and always would be. Though I'm clearly not much of a poet, this poem came out of that time and, if not eloquent, at least expresses the truth that God is present even in the midst of hard times, and He is always faithful to care for His children. So, for what it's worth, here it is:

I see You
In the never-fading smile of a young man
Too sick to leave his bed but
Who clings to You as the source of his strength.

I feel You
In the cool autumn breeze that
Dances through the air and
Sends brightly colored leaves fluttering to the ground.

I hear You
In the laughter of children ringing
Out through the cracks of mud huts
Finding joy in the midst of poverty

Lord, You are here
Surrounding me with Your love
Too great for me to comprehend.

Lord, You are here
Giving meaning to my life
As only You can do.

I see You
In the beauty of the sunset, fading
Quickly into night, revealing
Your glory in the heavens.

I feel You
In the gentle touch of a friend
You've sent to encourage me
As I struggle through life's uncertainties.

I hear You
In the silence of a beautiful moment
When I am reminded to
Be still and know that You are God.

Lord, You are here
Amazing me with Your glory
So incredible to see.

Lord, You are here
Bringing healing to my heart
That's broken without You.

No comments: