Sunday, August 15, 2010

mini Haiti reunion

In 2005, I lived/volunteered at Haiti Children's Rescue Mission, an orphanage in the mountains above Port-au-Prince. This is where I met my "Texas family" (of which Joey, Sabrina, Everly, and Birdie are a part); they were living there at the time as well. This is also the orphanage where Nahomie, one of my adopted sisters, was staying -- along with about 100 other children and 20 or so nannies, cooks, and housekeepers. Obviously, it was quite a busy place. About twice a week, Sabrina and I attempted to set aside a time to meet with the older girls and have a Bible study. Here is our group:
Youseline, Sabrina, Nahomie, Marie Jean, Everly, Bernadette,
Christ-Darlyne, Faniese, Linda, Jullie, Fedeline, and me

Though I moved back to the States at the end of April 2005, I have been able to go back and visit HCRM many times during subsequent trips to Haiti. A lot of the kids - including several of the girls in our Bible study - have now been adopted and live in the States or Canada, so it's been several years since I've seen many of them, though we've been able to reconnect a little on Facebook. Last week, however, I was able to see four of these girls - Youseline, Linda, Christ-Darlyne, and Fedeline - for the first time since they've come to the States. They came and spent a few days at Eyrie Park (home of my "Texas Family"), and I was able to go hang out with them one evening. It was so much fun seeing them again and reminiscing about the time we spent together in Haiti.
Everly, Salou, Linda, Christ-Darlyne, Birdie, and Fedeline
Youseline and Cindy
Christ-Darlyne and me

Also, Christ-Darlyne entertained us with "The Banana Song & Dance" :)

So much fun seeing these beautiful girls again! Mwen renmen nou tout e mwen byen kontan nou te ka vin visite nou! Vini anko!

No comments: