Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Of beauty and enjoyment (part 1)


As I mentioned in a previous post, Sabrina and Everly and I have been doing a book study this summer on Elisabeth Elliot's Discipline: The Glad Surrender. This sort-of-weekly time of discussion, laughter, tears, and sharing our lives with each other has been so wonderful, so special, and so very edifying. Though we frequently drift off topic (some weeks more than others, depending on what crazy circumstances are going on at that time -- and trust me, there have been many this summer!), we also have had many good conversations that have arisen from the multitude of wisdom that EE shares in her book.

Yesterday, we talked about "The Discipline of Possessions", one aspect of which is that

Things are given to us to enjoy for awhile. Nothing has done more damage to the Christian view of life than the hideous notion that those who are truly spiritual have lost all interest in the world and its beauties. The Bible says, "God . . . endows us richly with all things to enjoy." It also says, "Do not set your hearts on the godless world or anything in it." It is altogether fitting and proper that we should enjoy things made for us to enjoy. What is not fitting or proper is that we should set our hearts on them. Temporal things must be treated as temporal things -- received, given thanks for, offered back, but enjoyed.

Interestingly enough, this topic is one that I've been pondering fairly frequently over the last few months as God has provided so many opportunities for me to rejoice in the "simple pleasures" of life. From glorious sunsets, silly moments with dear friends, and beautifully foamy soy cappuccinos to midnight excursions to play on the swings at the park, spontaneous hugs, and the delight in reading a good book -- all these things are gifts from God, given to me for enjoyment and that I may, in response, praise Him. He is so good, so kind and so loving; daily (and, were I to open my eyes and pay attention, even moment by moment) He graciously gives me so many reasons to rejoice in Him. And how magnificent it is to rejoice in Him! After all, as the Westminster Catechism states, the chief end of man (that is, our reason for being) is "to glorify God and enjoy Him forever."

Now, I have to admit that all too often I take His gifts for granted and fail to acknowledge His hand in providing them; furthermore, I have to be careful not to get so caught up in the gift, whatever it may be, that I am more in awe of it than I am of its Giver (that would be idolatry).

On that note, though, I must rather abruptly end this particular post with a "to be continued", as I am rapidly running out of time before I need to be at work. So, until next time! :)

1 comment:

Sabrina Bleu said...

Amen, amen, amen! I very much enjoyed that particular part of our conversation yesterday.