Thursday, December 1, 2011

A bit of perspective

Drama, drama, drama.  Oh how I hate it.  Real-life drama, that is.  Literary and theatrical drama I'm all for. Just not so big a fan of dealing with it on a day-to-day basis.  But I guess that's life, huh.

And really, as I sit here thinking about the drama that currently is frustrating the heck out me, it seems (and is) so minor when compared with what so many others I know are currently facing--a father being diagnosed with brain cancer, a mother fighting to complete an adoption so that she can finally bring her daughter home, a newly married couple struggling to find jobs, a young pregnant woman finding out she's HIV-positive...  Suddenly, the drama going on around me seems so insignificant.  I am so blessed, in so many ways, by so many people and so many things.  I need to remember this.  I need to choose to be thankful, regardless of circumstances.

So tonight, though it's Thursday rather than Monday, I'm going to continue my gratitude list with blessings that I specifically encountered today:


Count your blessings, name them one by one,

Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.


681. An opportunity to talk to my pastor and to be encouraged.
682. Being able to connect with two different people today that may lead to potential learning/job opportunities in the future.
683. The gift of being able to share some of the things that the Lord has taught me over the past several years of this-is-not-how-I-planned-my-life with a friend who is making some potentially life-changing decisions.
684. Making a tentative countdown for my return to Haiti (though really, I don't know yet if I'll get to go at this time or not).  Still, having a number (61 days!), as uncertain as it is, somehow makes me feel a little better than just having a vague plan to return "soon".  That probably only makes sense in my mind.  Humor me :)
685. Pizza Hut for dinner (because...I really need to go to the grocery store. But I was too tired to go today.)
686. Being able to take a nap this afternoon.  Much needed, since for whatever reason, I could not sleep last night.
687. Living with this brother who keeps me laughing.
688. The reminder that Jesus is...and I am His.
689. My newly rearranged and cleaned room.  I am strange in that I get antsy if I don't move altogether or at least rearrange furniture every 6-8 months.  Even as a child I was always reorganizing my room... Psychologists probably have some fancy term for this, but you can just call me weird.  Moving on...
690. Perspective.  Amazing how much better I feel when I focus on what the Lord is doing/has given me rather than complaining!  Now may I remember this tomorrow...and the next day...and the next!

No comments: