Wednesday, December 14, 2011

St. Lucia's Day!

Jubilee was excited that Paul and I
finally showed up --
time to start the gift exchange!
Growing up, my only exposure to St. Lucia's Day was from this book (hurray for American Girl!); it wasn't a part of my family's Christmas traditions.  There was one year when I, inspired by Kirsten, dressed up in a white dress, wore a wreath on my head with battery-operated candles, and delivered cinnamon rolls to the rest of my family, but I don't think that was actually even on St. Lucia's Day; it probably was on Christmas morning.  I think I was 8 at the time.

my gift from Jube -- cute socks!
It wasn't until I moved to Texas and started celebrating holidays with my Texas family* that St. Lucia's Day actually became significant to me.  My "cousin" Everly does a fantastic job of describing her family's St. Lucia's Day traditions here. Yesterday was my third St. Lucia's Day at Eyrie Park, and I think it was my favorite yet.  It was so nice to have a whole day dedicated to spending time with family and just enjoying each others' company, [mostly] without the time constraints of "normal" activities (though Paul, unfortunately, had to go to school and take an exam after the festivities wound down).  It's also nice to have a good portion of my Christmas gifts completed and given now, since my Texas family does their sibling gift exchange on St. Lucia's Day (so with their 8 kids, one in-law, and my brother, I have successfully made and given out 10 gifts thus far)!

Thoroughly amused (or in some cases, creeped out)
by one of Willin's gifts

the adorable newlyweds, Sabrina and Donovan

Samuel, practicing his Heisman pose

love these people!

Donovan and Willin

*Long story short, I met my "Texas family" in Haiti at the end of 2004 at the orphanage from which both of our families were working on adopting kids.  I lived there with them for several months in 2005, and we pretty much adopted each other as family.  Additionally, their oldest adopted daughter is the biological cousin of one of my adopted sisters.  So we're family, see?  And they're pretty much why both Paul and I moved to Texas in 2009.

No comments: