Saturday, September 25, 2010

Of klutziness and caramel frappuccinos

I am an utter klutz. If there is something in the general vicinity of my feet, you can be fairly sure I'll trip on it. If anything has the potential to be spilled, it's almost guaranteed that I'll do just that. All items with which I come into contact that are the least bit hazardous will undoubtedly leave me scratched, bruised, or in some other way injured.

It's nearly inevitable these days, and I'm not really sure why. You'd think that accident-proneness would be something you'd grow out of as you age; instead, in my case, I seem to be growing more and more into it. I really don't remember being a klutz when I was younger, but there is no questioning the fact that I am one now. And my klutziness tends to lead to such funny/ridiculous/strange mishaps, too -- ones that you wouldn't hardly think possible, yet, because they happen to me, are hardly surprising.

Such as the frappuccino incident of last week... I work at Starbucks, and last Wednesday, about an hour before close, we got really busy. There were only two of us working, and I had a line of about 15 drinks on my bar (with a line of customers to the door who were still waiting to order). Needless to say, I was trying to move as quickly as possible to get all those drinks made and all the customers happily back out the door. All was going surprisingly smoothly...until I came to one particular caramel frappuccino that, though seemingly innocent, was actually a little fiend in sweet, sticky disguise. Ok, so, that may be a bit dramatic, but still. Beware of the Caramel.

Anyway. Back to my story. After putting all of the ingredients for this particular frappuccino into the blender pitcher, as I was reaching for the lid, I somehow managed to splash the pre-blended frappuccino up my nose, across my face, and into my ear (where I could feel it trickling down and puddling). Gross. And ridiculous. I mean, seriously; who in the world manages to spill something in their ear? Clearly, I am a very "talented" klutz.

However, I didn't have time to reflect on the incident at the time, as I still needed to blend that particular frappuccino (minus the portion that was in my ear) and knock out the rest of the drinks on my bar. Which I did, and to my immense relief, there were no further mishaps during the remainder of the night.

When I got home, though, I could still feel the sloshing of the frappuccino in my ear, so I decided to try to rinse it out with eardrops. Didn't work. Nor did my subsequent attempts with Qtips, rubbing alcohol, water, and more eardrops. So for the next nearly-48 hours, I had a very plugged-up ear, out of which I could hear very little. Most of the time it felt like it just needed to pop, like when you're on an airplane. But no amount of yawning or chewing gum achieved this, either. I felt like I was hearing everything from inside a tunnel, which was rather disorienting and incredibly distracting. All this because of a silly frappuccino.

Finally, Friday night, my pseudo-uncle, who is a doctor, looked at my ear and discovered that there was quite a simple solution to my dilemma: all he had to do was flush my ear out with a syringe of warm water. Such a relief; within moments, my ear felt normal again, and it was amazing how clear everything sounded! Though this was a bit of an anti-climactic ending to my ridiculous "injury", I was (and am) so very glad to have that over and done! If nothing else, I've certainly gained from this experience a deeper appreciation for my sense of hearing, a wariness of frappuccinos, and, perhaps, a greater realization of the ridiculous possibilities that come with being a klutz. All I can do is shake my head and laugh. Oh, Beth...

No comments: