Sunday, September 12, 2010

Some favorite quotes

I recently discovered goodreads.com, which contains a plethora of fantastic quotes. Here are some of my favorites that I've come across whilst browsing the site:

"To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable."
C.S. Lewis

"Stay is a charming word in a friend's vocabulary."
Louisa May Alcott

"There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate."
Charles Dickens

"Friendship, said Christopher Robin, is a very comforting thing to have."
A.A. Milne

"The unending paradox is that we do learn through pain."
Madeleine L'Engle

"Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator, but among those whom I love, I can: all of them make me laugh. "
— Wystan Hugh Auden

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us."
Helen Keller

"There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it."
C.S. Lewis

"But God is the God of the waves and the billows, and they are still His when they come over us; and again and again we have proved that the overwhelming thing does not overwhelm. Once more by His interposition deliverance came. We were cast down, but not destroyed."
Amy Carmichael

"["All the paths of the Lord are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant."] The original Hebrew word that has been translated "paths" means "well-worn roads' or "wheel tracks," such ruts as wagons make when they go down our green roads in wet weather and sink in up to the axles. God's ways are at times like heavy wagon tracks that cut deep into our souls, yet all of them are merciful."
Charles H. Spurgeon

"I'm sorry I wrote you such a long letter; I didn't have time to write a short one."
Blaise Pascal

"It is often in the darkest
skies that we see the
brightest stars."
Richard Evans

"Nothing can match the treasure of common memories, of trials endured together, of quarrels and reconciliations and generous emotions. It is idle, having planted an acorn in the morning, to expect that afternoon to sit in the shade of the oak."
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong."
Laura Ingalls Wilder

2 comments:

Everly Pleasant said...

I love all of these so much---thank you for sharing. Inspiration is such a real thing, we shouldn't underestimate it!

I find it highly interesting that Helen Keller's quote is about "seeing."

Everly

Beth said...

That is interesting about Helen Keller's quote!

And I will probably do another quotes post at some point; I've found so many good ones! These are only a few of my favorites from my "my quotes" list on goodreads; such a fun site!