Saturday, January 1, 2011

my 2010 reading list


At the commencement of 2010 (I am in denial that that was a year ago already), I decided to keep track of all that I read over the next 12 months. Among other reasons, I figured it'd be kind of interesting to find out how much I actually read in a year; additionally, now as I look back over the list, just by seeing the titles of some of these books again, I am reminded of whatever was going on in my life while I was reading them (for example, I read Candles in the Dark while stranded in South Florida; the Emily books kept me company during the Period of Never-Ending Sickness and Near Death). So many of the books I read last year have made their way onto my list of all-time favorites; there were only two books, I think, that I absolutely did not like and only finished so that I could at least say I'd read them once. So, overall, it was a good literary year. Thanks to all who recommended (and sometimes loaned) books (Everly, Samuel, Gina, Loren); I certainly welcome more suggestions for 2011! Happy New Year!

Reading List 2010

1. Across Five Aprils – Irene Hunt

2. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass – Lewis Carroll

3. The Jungle Books Volume I – Rudyard Kipling

4. Candles in the Dark – Amy Carmichael

5. A Tale of Two Cities – Charles Dickens

6. Emily of New Moon – L.M. Montgomery

7. Emily Climbs – L.M. Montgomery

8. Haiti Past, Present, Future: Where is the Hope? – Timothy DeTellis

9. Dancing under the Red Star – Karl Tobien

10. Little House in the Big Woods – Laura Ingalls Wilder

11. Mary Poppins – P.L. Travers

12. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer – Mark Twain

13. No Graven Image – Elisabeth Elliot

14. Jane Eyre – Charlotte Bronte

15. The Scarlet Pimpernel – Baroness Emmuska Orczy

16. Chronicles of Avonlea – L.M. Montgomery

17. Kiss – Ted Dekker

18. The Mysterious Benedict Society – Trenton Lee Stewart

19. Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte

20. Fearlessly Feminine – Jani Ortlund

21. The Story Girl – L.M. Montgomery

22. The Wind in the Willows – Kenneth Grahame

23. The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey – Trenton Lee Stewart

24. To Kill A Mockingbird – Harper Lee

25. The Homecoming – Earl Hamner, Jr.

26. Kilmeny of the Orchard – L.M. Montgomery

27. Anne of Green Gables – L.M. Montgomery

28. The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma – Trenton Lee Stewart

29. A Doll’s House – Henrik Ibsen

30. Uncle Tom’s Cabin – Harriet Beecher Stowe

31. After Many Days – L.M. Montgomery

32. These Strange Ashes – Elisabeth Elliot

33. Discipline: The Glad Surrender – Elisabeth Elliot

34. Tommy and Grizel – J.M. Barrie

35. A Wrinkle in Time – Madeleine L’Engle

36. The Happy Hollisters – Jerry West

37. A Lifetime of Wisdom – Joni Eareckson Tada

38. Treasure Island – Robert Louis Stevenson

39. Love Has a Price Tag – Elisabeth Elliot

40. Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen

41. The Story of the Trapp Family Singers – Maria Augusta Trapp

42. Daddy Long Legs – Jean Webster

Currently reading:

1. Prayers of an Excellent Wife – Andrew Case

2. Dear Enemy – Jean Webster

3. What is the Gospel? – Greg Gilbert

3 comments:

Everly Pleasant said...

Wow. That's a lot.

Beth said...

Thanks. I have to say, though, I'm kinda disappointed I didn't make it to 50. Oh well, maybe this year :)

Jerry West III said...

Hi there, Thanks to Google Alerts, I recently came across your blog entry about The Happy Hollisters, and wanted to introduce myself. It was my grandfather, Andrew Svenson, who wrote the Happy Hollisters under the pseudonym Jerry West. The Hollister children were patterned on his own children: my father, aunts, and uncles.

I thought you might be interested in some exciting news! Over the years we've heard from many fans like you, who have fond memories of the wholesome Hollister family and their exciting adventures. Many fans want to share the stories with their children, grandchildren, nieces, and nephews, but don't want to give up their collectors' editions. We have just released a new paperback edition of the first book in the series, The Happy Hollisters. The story is identical to the original, with its family-friendly dialogue and charming illustrations.

If you'd like to learn more about this new edition, and see pictures of the "real" Hollister family, please visit our website: www.TheHappyHollisters.com or join our Facebook group http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Happy-Hollisters/33291503077

Thank you for remembering and supporting The Happy Hollisters!

Sincerely,
Andrew E. Svenson III
email: andysvenson@gmail.com