Friday, January 13, 2012

Back to Haiti I go! (Wanna help?)

Update Jan. 18th:


Thanks so much to those of you who have already donated money and/or items!  I love that so many of you--most of whom have never even been to Haiti--want to invest in the kids' lives by enabling me to put together these activities to share with them (which I'm so excited to do!).  It may  not seem like a big deal to donate a box of crayons or a couple of dollars, but trust me, you're making a difference.  It so encourages me to have your support, and I know the kids will be excited, too, when I tell them that people "lot bo" (in the "other place," i.e. the States) have helped to make our fun times possible.  So, THANK YOU!!!


I've updated the activities below to identify what I've already received and what I'm still hoping to get before I leave...two weeks from today!


I'm heading back to Haiti on February 1st, and I'm once again putting together some activities* to do with the kids at Notre Maison.  Since several people have asked how they can help, I thought I'd post the activities I'm hoping to do** along with the materials needed to put them together in case anyone wants to volunteer to provide a particular activity/item.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

- 1 tarp
- Colored Duct tape
- Rope
- Footballs/bean bags/small balls



- Book of pre-cut paper dolls
- Adhesive magnetic sheets
- Cookie sheet

- Balloons

- Shower curtain (maybe even 2 or 3)
- Crayons/permanent markers
- Traffic sign stickers
- Toy cars

- Sponges

- multicolored yarn

Other miscellaneous supplies (will probably add to this list as I think of more):
- construction paper
- white cardstock
- several pairs of child-safe scissors
- glitter
- glue (1-2 bottles)
- coloring books and/or coloring pages
- stickers
- picture books
- chalk

Additionally, Heartline has several items that they've requested.  See that list here.

Please let me know if you'd like to help out with any of these items/activities.  There are a couple of ways to do this:

1. If you live in B/CS and want to purchase any of these items for me, just let me know and we'll figure out a time for me to get them from you.  Or, I guess if you live elsewhere and want to buy or put together any of these activities yourself, you can mail them to me by January 25th.

2. If you want to donate money for me to purchase any of these items (or, to help fund the trip itself), you can do that here.  Please be sure to let me know if you want your money to go toward a particular item or if it's just a general donation for the trip.

Thanks so much for all of your support!  I'm so grateful for all of you who encourage me and pray for me (and especially, for those who let me talk on and on and on about Haiti)  :)  And thanks in advance on behalf of the kids!






* All activities found on Pinterest, of course :)
** I'm trying to stick to pretty simple activities, due primarily to the limited space at the orphanage and the relative chaos of working with 40+ kids, but if anyone has any ideas for additional activities, please let me know :)  Space is also a factor, since I have to transport most of the materials for the activities in my luggage.  Just FYI  :)

No comments: