Friday, January 6, 2012

what I read in 2011

At the beginning of 2010, I decided it might be fun to start keeping track of the books I read throughout the year, just for the heck of it.  Turned out it was, in fact, interesting (to me, anyway) at the end of the year to look back and see what all I'd read (I guess since I have a terrible memory and couldn't otherwise remember...), and to remember what was going on in life when I was reading certain books (like being stranded in a random person's house in South Florida while reading Candles in the Dark).  I continued this tradition in 2011, and I think the most interesting realization I've had now while looking over the list is that I read nearly 2/3 of these books in the last 4 months of the year.  Apparently I became somewhat of a hermit for the fall...


Here's the 2011 list:


1.       Dear Enemy – Jean Webster
This is the sequel to Daddy Long Legs, which I read at the end of 2010.  I really enjoyed both of them!  Thanks, Everly, for introducing me to these books!
2.       Redeeming Love – Francine Rivers
This was my second time reading this book, and if I'm remembering right, both times I read the whole thing in just a few days.  Beautiful, powerful story of redemption.  Thanks, Michelle, for loaning me your copy!
3.       Anne of Avonlea – L.M. Montgomery
A classic.  Love the Anne books!
4.       The Hidden Jewel – Dave & Neta Jackson
This was one of my favorite books as a child.  Though I enjoyed it more as a 9-year-old, it was still fun to reread it.
5.       The Lottery Rose – Irene Hunt
I have to say, I didn't really enjoy this book.  I read Across Five Aprils last year and loved it, but this book just didn't hold my interest nearly as much.
6.       When People are Big and God is Small – Edward T. Welch
A must-read for anyone who struggles with people-pleasing.  Five stars :)
7.       Calm My Anxious Heart – Linda Dillow
Such a great book on dealing with anxiety and finding contentment.  Very practical and applicable.  My Bible study group went through this together in the spring.
8.       Anne of the Island – L.M. Montgomery
9.       Anne of Windy Poplars – L.M. Montgomery
10.   Anne’s House of Dreams – L.M. Montgomery
11.   Sense and Sensibility – Jane Austen
Good book.  Not my favorite from Jane Austen, but still a fun read.
12.   Anne of Ingleside – L.M. Montgomery
13.   Oliver Twist – Charles Dickens
I did not enjoy this book.  I tried.  Didn't work.  But I still made myself finish it.
14.   The Help – Kathryn Stockett
Love, love, love this book!  The movie is good, too...but of course the book is better :)
15.   Along Came Jones – Linda Windsor
I think I got this book in high school.  I read it this time while waiting to borrow the Harry Potter books.  It's not my favorite, but it was something to read, so I did :)
16.   Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone – J.K. Rowling
For a decade, I refused to be part of the HP craze (wouldn't read the books, wouldn't watch the movies)...up until I went with friends to the opening midnight showing of The Deathly Hollows Part 2 in July, at which time I became instantly hooked.  I subsequently read all of the books over the next few months, and as of mid-December, I'm all caught up on the movies, too.  Thanks, Meg, for loaning your books!  (I promise we'll eventually remember to get the last four back to you!)
17.   Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets – J.K. Rowling
18.   Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban – J.K. Rowling
19.   Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire – J.K. Rowling
21.   Beyond the Blue – Leslie Gould
This novel does an excellent job of exploring and depicting the intricacies of international adoption, specifically in Vietnam.  Very good book.
22.   North of Tomorrow – Cindy McCormick Martinusen
Not sure when this book showed up on my shelf, but I read it for the first time this fall and really enjoyed it.  It's a mystery of sorts and also deals with a lot of World War II history, which I found really interesting.
23.   Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince – J.K. Rowling
24.   Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – J.K. Rowling
25.   Rainbow Valley – L.M. Montgomery
26.   Rilla of Ingleside – L.M. Montgomery
27.   Taste of Salt – Frances Temple
A fictional account of a young man in Haiti.  It has Kreyol in it; I love it :)
28.   The Zombie Curse – Arthur M. Fournier
This is a memoir of a doctor's experiences throughout the rise of the AIDS epidemic, first in Miami and then in Haiti.  I had a hard time getting through the first part of the book, but once  Haiti came into the picture, it held my interest a little better.
29.   Monique and the Mango Rains – Kris Holloway
The biography of a Peace Corps volunteer who worked alongside a Malian midwife.  There wasn't as much actual midwifery in the book as I'd hoped, but I still enjoyed it.
30.   Listen to Me Good – Margaret Charles Smith & Linda Janet Holmes
The biography of a black midwife in Alabama in the early/mid-twentieth century.  It was a bit hard to follow, with unannounced shifts from third-person prose first-person rural dialect, but it was still fairly interesting.
31.   Choosing to See – Mary Beth Chapman
A very honest autobiographical account of a lifetime of joys and struggles and God's faithfulness in the midst of it all, including the heartbreaking account of her five-year-old daughter's death.  I think I cried through nearly all of the last half of the book.
32.   Totally Surrounded – Christina Di Stefano Davis
Another autobiography; this book details the author's experiences as a young, single missionary living in a remote village in the Phillipines.  Definitely recommend, especially for anyone considering overseas missions work.
33.   The Secret Life of Bees – Sue Monk Kidd
This was at the cabin where I stayed with my family between Christmas and New Years, so I decided to read it.  I enjoyed it, though it probably won't be something I read again.
34.   Searching for Eternity – Elizabeth Musser
This was also at the cabin.  I kind of expected it to be a cheesy Christian novel (sorry), but it was actually incredibly good and very real (non-cheesy).  I read it in one day (ahh, love vacation!).
35.   The Atonement Child – Francine Rivers
I think this is probably one of my favorite books.  This novel deals with the issue of abortion from several perspectives and is very thought-provoking.

Books I've started and hope to eventually finish:
(I am so bad about starting multitudes of books at one time...)

1. When Helping Hurts – Brian Fikkert and Steve Corbett
2. What is the Mission of the Church? – Kevin DeYoung & Greg Gilbert
3. Lesley Castle – Jane Austen
4. The Curious Career of Roderick Campbell – Jean Newton McIlwraith

No comments: