Sunday, November 6, 2011

of baby and worship and coconut m&m's

with baby Raphael
Thanks to those who prayed last night that baby Raphael would start nursing again.  Around 1am, Lena and I went back down to check on baby and mama; after a bit of prompting, Raphael finally started showing a little more interest in eating.  I would've updated then, but we didn't have electricity/internet.  There was, however, some rather loud (though relatively non-annoying) music playing somewhere nearby to fall asleep to... :/

We slept for about 4 hours before getting up again to check on Mama E and Raphael.  At this point we got rather confused (or, I did, at least) as to whether or not Haiti was changing time with Daylight Savings Time or not...the time had changed on my ipod and on the clock in the birthing room (apparently it's an atomic clock), but not on my phone or on Mama E's.  So, was it 5am or 6am?  We didn't think Haiti was going with DST this time, but in Haiti, it's hard to know.  When I lived here in Spring 2005, it took about 3 days to figure out that Haiti had "sprung forward" (in the meantime, it was a little interesting trying to know when to get 
Raphael and his sweet mama
people to get to the airport for their flights!).  We asked Mama E, and she said that some people might change the time, others might not.  Who knows.  Oh Haiti.  We eventually decided that the time probably had not changed here, which was confirmed when Beth came to pick us up for church.

Anyway, Raphael latched right onto Mama E this morning with no problem, and Mama E was doing well, too, so after one last vitals check, we headed off to church with Beth.  I really enjoy being at Port au Prince Fellowship.  It's so neat to be able to worship there with people from so many places all over the world.  It's always fun to see people there that I've met over the years in Haiti--and, today, to see this wonderful family from my hometown in Texas!  They're here visiting and exploring the possibility of moving to Haiti full-time; so fun to get to see them here!

Lena, the baby expert :)
Ok, I'm officially exhausted, so how about bullet points for the rest of today:
  • Went to lunch with Ryan and Evan; our initial restaurant of choice was closed, so we went to the Epidor above the Tabarre Delimart.  I had a disgusting hamburger (if, in fact, you can call that a hamburger), but then Evan gave me coconut M&M's, which made up for whatever it was I'd just eaten.  I did not know before today that coconut M&M's existed, but I'm pretty sure I might dream about them tonight.  Soooo good.
  • John and Beth hosted a dinner tonight for the teen moms and their babies.  Beth cooked lots of yummy food (this lady is amazing in so many ways!), and we all had a great time.
  • Beth and Lena dropped me back off at Notre Maison after dinner.  Tentative plan is that I'll spend tomorrow here with the kids, and then Tuesday I'll go back over to Heartline for child development day.  I'm planning to spend Tuesday night at the Heartline Guesthouse, and then...unless I can come up with a way to delay/prevent getting on the plane that won't cause harm to anyone...I have to go back to the States on Wednesday :( :( :(
And with that not-so-cheery thought, off to bed I go.  Coconut M&M's...  :)
big brother Emmanuel
 
Word of advice for the day: Check before you sweeten your coffee to be sure you're using sugar, not salt.  Just saying.  Not like I'd know this from experience or anything...  :)

No comments: